How to make butter is easy! All you need is heavy whipping cream. So next time you head to the store and find whipping cream on clearance about to expire or expired, pick it up anyways. You’ll be saving money especially since your letting the whipping cream sit out at room temperature for about 12-14 hours to ‘rot’ anyways. Once it rots the particles will form together into sweet cream butter.
All you need to get started is:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Glass Jar (I used a mason jar)
- Leave Whipping Cream out at room temperature for at least 12 hours. (You want it to spoil and give a sour taste)
- Pour into glass jar and cover. Give it a good shake, about one shake per minute. Don’t shake it all around, just give it one thrust of a shake and do this for about 2-3 minutes. After the 2-3 minutes, you’ll start to see all of the butter forming together leaving just a little bit of liquid left.
- Drain the liquid, but save it in a different container because you now have homemade buttermilk.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water to the jar, give it a good shake and then drain. This will remove any of the excess butter fat liquid.
- Leaving you with homemade sweet cream butter! If you like salted butter go ahead and add 1-2 tsp of salt at this time.
That’s it. You’ve just learned how to make butter using expired whipping cream.