Every time I walked into my closet and I stood there looking at all of my clothes in disgust. So many clothes and nothing to wear. I have daily overweight meltdowns. (I know I’ve gained weight… My clothes prove it to me everyday) Walking into my closet wasn’t any fun. It was the start I needed to get rid of my wardrobe.
And let me just say… getting rid of my wardrobe was the best thing I’ve done in years. It gave me motivation to start looking more at my appearance and the drive to look my best.
What’s in my closet?
- Clothes of many sizes. Sizes before having kids, Sizes after having kids. Sizes while pregnant with kids. Sizes I once hope to fit into… way way way before having kids. In between all of those sizes.
- Clothes of many styles. 4 decades worth… We’ll maybe not actually 4 decades.. But 3 decades for sure. Those styles are: Out of date styles, clothes that I hope will come back into style and styles that shouldn’t be styles
That’s pretty typical of most closets, don’t you think?
Cleaning out my closet!
I started by doing the following. I took EVERYTHING out of my closet and put it into 3 categories. Yes, No and Maybe.
- I got rid of everything that didn’t fit. (I did keep one outfit that didn’t fit) It’s the one outfit that I’m using to measure my weight loss with.
- If it fit and I hadn’t worn it within the past year I tossed it.
- If it had holes, rips or frays that wasn’t stylish. I tossed it.
- If I didn’t love it. I tossed it
Now I had 2 categories left. Yes and Maybe. I hung the maybes backup in to the back of my closet and I’m giving myself a month to see if I pick anything from that pile. If not, I’m tossing it.
This is me sitting on the rim of my bathtub. My bathtub is full of all the clothes and look how it’s taller than me. I had way too many clothes… not to mention the 4 garbage bags I already filled.
Building a Style and Closet I love.
- What’s your style? – Take a look on pinterest – start pinning outfits you love.
- Whose your style guru? – I love the way Jennifer Aniston dresses. She is my style guru.
- Buy pieces you love and will go with 3 other pieces. An example would be a black. Can you wear it with jeans? A cardigan? A skirt?
I’m on my journey of building a time capsule wardrobe
Follow my pinterest board to see the styles I love and what I’ll be aiming for.
Follow Gina@MomsLifeboat’s board What to wear on Pinterest.
Here’s what I’ve notice since I’ve made this change and got rid of my wardrobe.
1.) I feel better about myself.
2.) I don’t take as long to get dressed, since I love everything in my closet.
3.) My closet is refreshing to walk into and see.
4.) I take pride in my appearance and I’m discovering my own style.
5.) Shopping for clothes is fun.
Join me on instagram, where soon I’ll be sharing my outfits and finds in building my capsule wardrobe
Have you done something similar? Comment below and share your tips and ideas.
Latest posts by Gina Horne (see all)
- 2020 Printable Calendar - December 31, 2019
- 6 Free Printable Encouragement Notes and Postcards - September 14, 2019
- Pumpkin Butter - September 10, 2019