How to Have a Successful Yard Sale was on my mind the other day, when I started thinking about how to make some extra money by getting my very own yardsale together.
How To Have A Successful Yard Sale
Having not done one, I simply didn’t know the answer. So I asked the savviest people I know their ideas on How to Have a Successful Yard Sale.
Here are 50 Tips on How to Have a Successful Yard Sale:
- Advertise in your local newspaper and on Craigslist.
- Get Group Yard Sales together, especially with your neighbors. This will help attract more people and help save you the cut the cost with advertising.
- Takes some pictures of the items you are selling and provide a link in the ad of photos. You can use sharing sites like Photobucket, Flickr and so on.
- Make Lots of Signs. List Big Items on your signs, such as: Tools, Baby, Furniture etc..
- For your signs, use a bright background color and keep the colors consistent.
- Make Letter BIG! Stand across the room and make sure you can read it. Letters on your sign, should contain Big, Bold and Black lettering.
- Make a big sign that says You are Here!
- Have your yard sale around the 1st of the month.
- Consider the weather.
- Make your displays attractive as possible
- Try to get everything up off the ground.
- Group Like items together
- Hang up your clothes and make sure they are clean.
- Don’t have enough tables? Use totes and boxes as tables instead.
- Keep it simple, people don’t want to dig through a bunch of stuff.
- Place large items near the curb
- Color Code your pricing – Use plain dot stickers
- Don’t ask for a lot, people want deals, not somewhat reduced retail prices.
- Keep prices under 50% of retail.
- Create a price layout plan, so everyone helping out knows the prices.
- Have a least 2 people working at all times.
- Keep your money with you at all times.
- Don’t use a cash box.
- Run larger bills inside and place it in a safe place.
- Get lots of small bills and change.
- Don’t accept large bills such as $50′s and $100′s.
- Go with your gut feeling if a bill seems fishy.
- Don’t let people inside to use your bathroom.
- Save all of your grocery bags to use for the items you sell.
- Offer something free with purchase, such as balloons for the kids. You don’t need helium, just blow them up, the kids will love it.
- Have a free box to pick out items from. Spend $5 get 1 free item, Spend $10 and get 2 free items and so on.
- Offer fill a bag items. $5 to fill a bag. This will help you quickly sell off books, nick knacks, etc..
- Make Signs that say the following: All Sales Final, No Returns, Items sold As-Is, Cash Only – No Checks, No Bathroom.
- Wait until the last day to discount items. Start discounting them 2 hours before you shut down.
- Pack up all remaining items and donate them.
What did you think of the list? Did we pretty much cover everything? Do you have anything you’d like to add to the list on How to Have a Successful Yard Sale?
Check out other ways on How to Make Money
How To Have a Successful Yard Sale
Latest posts by Gina (see all)
- Frozen Movie Review Plus Fun Printable Activities for the Kids - November 27, 2013
- PinchThisStretchThat.Com is now MomsLifeboat.Com - November 26, 2013
- Best Buy Coupons and 6 Reasons Why Shopping at Best Buy is Stress Free - November 22, 2013